As a woman in a male-dominated professional environment, I firmly believe in allowing the quality of my work and my reputation, rather than my clothing, to do the talking. As such, I generally keep my appearance understated and traditional – I wear mostly black, navy and tan, and I favor stripes and plaids over any other patterns. After years of trial and error, I’ve narrowed down my black shoe collection to include 6 styles that are sufficiently different that I don’t feel like I’m wearing the same shoe everyday, but are also office-appropriate and are versatile.
1. Stiletto (4 inch): Confidence-boosting and perfect for long trousers.
2. Patent Leather Wedge: COMFORTABLE, and the patent makes a more casual shoe dressier.
3. D’Orsay Pump: Perfect work-to-evening option.
4. Slingback: Another good work-to-evening option and cooler in the Houston summer heat.
5. Stiletto (3 inch): Low heel is comfortable, and again, the patent elevates the shoe.
6. Ballet Flat: Ideal for casual Fridays or when you have an across town meeting.